The OCA Bulletin Board
OCA continues to accept applications for the 2017-18 school year! Visit www.enrolloak.org and follow the easy steps below. We look forward to meeting our new students joining OCA next year!
Step1: Visit www.EnrollOak.org
Step 2: Select "Enroll Oakland Charters Application"
Step 3: Sign up for an account
Step 4: Fill out your family profile and select "AMPS-Oakland Charter Academy"
OCA will not in session on 02/10 & 02/13
OCA will be in session on 02/20/17 President's Day
OCA Computer Lab is now open on Tuesday and Thursday. Click HERE to register.
OCA February School Calendar
Home of the Panthers!
Oakland Charter Academy (OCA) is the flagship of the Amethod Public Schools organization. Located in the Fruitvale District, it is the only school in the area with an API over 900, as well as the only National Blue Ribbon school in East Oakland.
OCA's goal is to prepare our students to compete and excel in a competitive global marketplace.
OCA opened in the fall of 1994 as Oakland's first charter school, and at the time, was only the fourteenth charter school authorized in the State of California.
OCA Has Rigorous Academics
OCA offers Common Core-aligned curriculum in daily blocks that consist of:
- 90 minutes of English Language Arts
- 90 minute block for ELD students who are assessed into program
- 90 minutes of Mathematics, including Pre-Algebra in 7th grade and Algebra in 8th grade
- 60 minutes of History
- 60 minutes of Science
- 40 minutes of Physical Education
- OCA offers a mandatory summer session each year to ensure students are prepared as they move forward through middle school.
- 2-4 hours of homework are assigned each night; homework packets are assigned for each holiday break.
- Spring tutoring sessions are available for all incoming 6th graders.
OCA Gets Results!
OCA is committed to excellence and academics demonstrated through its emphasis on structure and student achievement to traditionally underserved urban students. The proof is in the numbers:
This is accomplished by:
- Improving the academic achievement of all students.
- Closing the achievement gap of educationally-disadvantaged students.
- An emphasis and focus on student attendance.
- Supporting effective educators.
- Providing a structured learning environment.
- Fostering a culture based on honoring hard work.