Amethod Public Schools (formerly Oakland Charter Academy Inc.) operates the oldest charter school in Oakland (Jingletown Charter). The Amethod Public School system is a nonprofit corporation originally founded in 1993 designed to produce the academic advancement of disenfranchised middle school and high school aged youth from East Oakland, CA. After a tumultuous beginning Oakland Charter Academy (OCA) underwent a reorganization and recommitment phase in 2004. Since then the school became a nationally recognized No Child Left Behind Blue Ribbon School, only the second public middle school in the history of Oakland Unified School District to receive such a distinction.
Is America in a slow and consistent decline? Have we gotten too comfortable or focused on the wrong ideas? We are in a crisis as a country and the way in which public education has dealt with certain subgroups has not worked and had fueled the downward spiral of education.
The fact is that Public Education is not working for all students , so the question is why?
- We have allowed teachers who have very low expectations of certain groups of students, to continue to work with children for far too long?
- Education officials , Education Bureaucrats, Associations, and Charter School Authorizers who have their personal "ideals " in mind as they set policies for other peoples kids.
- Parents who have been used to blaming their child's behavior grades, or work ethic on everyone else but themselves and their child.
- Administrators who have no real authority, or at least hide behind a perceived lack of authority.
- University systems that are producing ill prepared teachers whom have been trained to focus on emotion rather than cognitive analysis.
- Kids who feel entitled to do less , but get more.
This is part of the problem cycle that has created the dismal school failure loop and achievement gap among racial and economic disparities.
Many schools will have slogans that state "accountability and high expectations for all students," yet when one visits the school or analyzes the data- it turns out many schools pump alot of rhetoric or propaganda and does very little to prepare students for the next stage of their lives.
As educators, parents and community members- we all need to believe in and hold HIGH STANDARDS FOR ALL . Lets not get trapped in political correctness that fuels the slow creeping decline that America is currently facing. There is too much at stake!
Amethod Public Schools is different than many other school systems, including charter schools, because we have expectations for ALL including teachers, parents/guardians, students, teachers and so forth. Let get back to the basics that made this country what it is.......Honor Hard Work!!